Sunday, June 23, 2013

My Review of Monsters University



Note: Pixar almost always has animated shorts before there feature films. In Monsters University there was a very clever short called The Blue Umbrella. I really enjoyed it, especially the score that went with it. So make sure you are not late to the movie so you can see it. Also, stay for the end credits because there is a scene at the end of them. Lastly, I'd like to say that I saw this film in 2D.

I absolutely loved the movie, Monsters Inc., it's definitely one of my favorite Pixar films. So of course I was super stoked for the prequel to the movie, Monsters University. Although it's not an original Pixar film (like many are wanting), Monsters University is still Pixar's best movie since Toy Story 3.



Mike Wazowski (voiced by Billy Crystal) and James P. "Sulley" Sullivan (John Goodman) are best friends in the movie Monsters Inc.. However, when the two first met in college, they couldn't stand each other. Monsters University shows us, throughout the movie, what Mike and Sulley were like in there college years

The script for Monsters University was a great. I think it was a wonderful idea to do a prequel to Monsters Inc., and Monsters University is definitely the prequel I would have hoped for because the movie was great. It had clever dialogue, and was smart, and really funny. I haven't laughed that hard at an animated movie in a long time. That's the great thing about Pixar movies, they can make any age group laugh-out-loud.

The voice cast in Monsters University was really good. Billy Crystal and John Goodman's voices have have always fit the roles perfectly for Mike and Sulley. Steve Buscemi also returns as the creepy villain, Randy. You will find out in Monsters University how he became the villain in the original film. It was also great to hear some new voices in the film, like the voices of Nathan Fillion, Aubrey Plaza, Charlie Day, and even John Krasinski. The best new voice for Monsters University though was definitely Helen Mirren, who played Dean Hardscrabble, and voiced her PERFECTLY. There's even a few surprise characters that were seen in the original movie that show up in Monsters University, I won't spoil the few surprises though. Overall, I loved the voice cast.

As you would expect the animation in Monsters University was stellar, the animation is usually always that way with Pixar films, and it's know different with Monsters University. The animation in the film was very colorful and intriguing and it really added to the movie.

Overall, Monsters University was laugh-out-loud hilarious, clever, charming, heart-warming, and entertaining. I absolutely LOVED seeing Mike and Sulley on-screen again, and although it's not as good as Monsters Inc. I still loved Monsters University, it's DEFINITELY not the worst Pixar film out there. I say take the whole family to see the film, you will all enjoy it. Not only is Monsters University the best animated film of the year so far, it's also one of the best films I have seen this year.

Verdict: 4.5 out of 5

I am really hoping Monsters University will win the Best Animated Film award at the Oscars this year because it's definitely worthy (the short before the movie, The Blue Umbrella, will probably get nominated for Best Short.) Honestly, there are no major problems with this movie. I just can't quite give it a 5 out of 5. It was very close though. 


No comments:

Post a Comment