Friday, August 10, 2012

My Review of The Bourne Legacy



I am huge fan of the "Bourne" Trilogy, and I loved all the previous movies! But when I found out that Matt Damon wasn't going to be in the next installment, and was being replaced by Jeremy Renner, I really wasn't sure what to think. After seeing the movie, I can say it's a pretty solid "Bourne" movie.

The movie picks up right after 2007's "The Bourne Ultimatum", but this time the movie is centered on Aaron Cross (Jeremy Renner) whose stakes have been triggered by the events of the previous three films. Along with him is Dr. Marta Shearing (Rachel Weisz), as well as Eric Byer (Edward Norton), who is trying to stop them along the way! I can't say anything else without giving away a lot of the movie. But the story does keep you interested throughout the film, but, like most "Bourne" movies, It's very confusing. So don't get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of the movie.

The whole cast did a pretty good job! I really liked Jeremy Renner as Aaron Cross, and also really liked Rachel Weisz as Marta Shearing! To me though, the stand out performance was from Edward Norton, I think he played a great villain! Overall the cast did a very good job!




One of the problems I had with this movie though, was there was too much talk and not enough action! Most "Bourne" movies are jam packed with action and in this one their was really only a couple of scenes! It did at times make the movie feel long, since its running time is 2 Hours and 8 Minutes. But I will say, the last 20 Minutes are filled with great action sequences, and they were some of the best I've seen all year! But after those action sequences came the ending, which felt very rushed.

I was also really hoping there was going to be a surprise appearance from Jason Bourne in this movie, but he is only mentioned. I think it would have been really clever if we would have seen him at some point in the movie! So that was kind of a missed opportunity. I even stayed for the end credits to see if there was an ending credits scene with him in it..but there wasn't one.

However, for most of the movies running time I was on the edge of my seat! I think they did a great job of adding in lots of mystery and suspense! It really made the movie watchable, and actually very good.

Overall "The Bourne Legacy" does not live up to it's predecessors, and honestly does suffer a bit without Matt Damon, but I still think Jeremy Renner did a great job. Also I would say the movie is worth going to see in theaters! But don't go in expecting a movie as good as the past three were!

Verdict: 4 out of 5

Surprisingly, they didn't really set the movie up for a sequel, but they did set it up to the point where it can go either way! But honestly if it's done right, and maybe done with a surprise appearance from Jason Bourne, I wouldn't mind seeing a 5th "Bourne" movie! And I would REALLY love it if Jeremy Renner and Matt Damon were BOTH in the 5th "Bourne" movie!


2 comments:

  1. Nice review Connor. Is it as memorable as the franchise that came before it? No, but what really makes this film even slightly memorable is that it’s very thrilling, has a fun time with itself, and also features plenty of great characters that I would like to hold onto for a whole new franchise. Hopefully that actually happens though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You So Much!! I completely agree with you! I would love to see Renner and Damon team up for a 5th Bourne movie!! Also I just read your review of The Bourne Legacy! Great Review!!

      Delete