Saturday, September 22, 2012

My Review of Trouble with the Curve



"Trouble with the Curve" is Clint Eastwood's first movie that he just acted in and didn't direct since 1993's "In the Line of Fire", therefore I was actually really excited to see this movie! Sadly, in the end, I was pretty letdown.

The movie follows Gus Lobel (Clint Eastwood), a longtime baseball scout for the Atlanta Braves who's starting to get old and lose his vision. He doesn't want to tell anyone so he can contiunue his job. But Gus' longtime friend and Boss, Pete (John Goodman) can tell Gus isn't doing so well. So Pete calls Mickey (Amy Adams) to help Gus out.

The story and the plot in this movie honestly just doesn't work and they throw in unnecessary side plots, like the little relationship between Mickey and Johnny (Justin Timberlake), I think it would have been better if they just stuck to the Father-Daughter Story and then it might not have been so cliched. (Dont get me wrong though, I still would want Justin Timberlake in the movie because I really liked his character and his just an overall good actor, I just didn't want him to have a releationship with Amy Adams in the movie!).

The performances in this movie are great, and in a way they save this movie. You have great performances by Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams, Justin Timberlake, and John Goodman. Also Matthew Lillard is great in a small role as a member of the scouting department. My favorite performances would have to be Clint Eastwood's and Amy Adams, they just have great Father-Daughter chemistry and it made the movie somewhat watchable!



I should also add "Trouble with the Curve" is often pretty funny, with great one-liners from the whole cast! A lot of them were from Clint Eastwood though! (As you might Expect!)

Sadly the performances and the funny one-liners was all I really loved in "Trouble with the Curve". The first problem I had with the movie was it was a overlong (1 Hr and 51 Min.), I know I say this a lot but it could have been a lot better with a shorter running time and when it's not a great movie that time goes by...really......slow.

I also didn't like that most of the Baseball scenes were unrealistic, I mean the hot-shot high school star only gets a few hits, the rest are home runs. I think that's a bit unrealistic, unlike last year's "Moneyball", where the Baseball scenes seemed pretty real!

My last big complaint is, like I mentioned early, is the movie is very cliched and pretty corny, it would have been cool if they went with a different story or at least a little different approach then most Baseball Dramas, but then again it does have a few effective surprises and I think they wanted it to be a little corny!

Overall I'm sad to say "Trouble with the Curve" is a pretty forgettable Baseball Drama. Although, I can say this movie would have been a lot worse if it wasn't for the amazing performances from the whole cast. In the end, I would say this movie is for the Baseball fans and the Die-Hard Fans of Clint Eastwood only. For everyone else that doesn't fit into that group, it's worth a rent!

Verdict: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment