Sunday, October 28, 2012

My Review of The Perks of Being a Wallflower



"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is based on the best selling book of the same name. It was written by Stephen Chbosky. I am personally a HUGE fan of the book!   I just recently read it, and I was very impressed. It is one of my new favorite books! So I waited for the movie to come to my area, and it finally did! My reaction to the movie is very positive! I will try my best to just review this as a stand alone movie. (There will be some Book to Movie Comparisons, but nothing with spoilers.)

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is about a freshman named Charlie (Logan Lerman), who doesn't have any friends, he ends up being befriended by two seniors, Patrick (Ezra Miller) and Sam (Emma Watson). They welcome him into there world and show him what it's like to have a good time.

The script in this movie is wonderful! It's sad, it's funny, it's heartfelt, and its great. It's also one of the reason's I really liked the movie!

The cast in this movie does a GREAT job. Logan Lerman was great, I wasn't really sure about him after seeing the awful, "Percy Jackson", but he did a good job in this movie! So did Emma Watson, who proved she can be great in anything! Not just Harry Potter. Some other people in the cast include Dylan McDermott, Nina Dobrev, Joan Cusack, and Paul Rudd. So the movie's actually got quite a familiar cast and they all did an amazing job! I have to say the best performance though came from Ezra Miller as Patrick, just great in the role!



I think this movie kind of slipped by people, because there's lots of actors in this movie that people are familiar with (Paul Rudd, Dylan McDermott, etc.). But it still didn't do as well as it could have at the box office, and I think that's mainly because people didn't know about it.

But anyway, another thing I loved about this movie was how completely real it felt, when the movie was over I thought Charlie was actually a real kid and actually went through the same problems that I watched, and that's how I felt after reading the book.

 It also stayed quit true to the book, which I very much appreciated. There were, however, some parts in the book I wish would have been put in the movie, but weren't.

If that, already, wasn't enough to make you go to the theater, the soundtrack in the movie was fantastic! Just tons of great music! Mainly because all of the main characters have great taste's in music!

I do have one small nitpick for this movie though, towards the end it felt a little rushed and I think there was a little to much narrating, rather then actually seeing what happened. But I think I just have that nitpick because I read the book. Anyone who hasn't read it, probably won't notice it!

Overall, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is a very good movie and one of my favorite movies of the year! And you definitely don't need to read the book in order to appreciate the movie! If it's playing at a theater near you, I would go SEE it!

Verdict: 4.5 out of 5

I still think I'd recommend reading the book before seeing the movie, because the book is a little bit better!!

No comments:

Post a Comment